Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Banner Ads and Behavioral Targeting: Shell

I have to admit, I am not a fan of most banner ads, especially the ones that seem like their behavioral targeted (YES, I was just looking at camp socks on J.Crew, Yahoo Mail, Guilty!! They are unbelievably comfortable, btw).

Behavior targeting begs the question, if you were just looking at a site and clicked off of the site, why would you want to suck out more time out of your day and look at it again? It just seems like bad consumer psychology.

I did notice an interesting banner ad from Shell while checking my email. The ad instructs you to "pull down" (warily, I did so, almost hearing the data-tagging clicking away). Yet, I am a sucker for this, I admit, I like pulling and stretching things out like taffy in surfing web pages. In doing so, the ad further stakes its claim:























I liked the effective interactivity of this banner ad, as some of them can get downright obtrusive.
In clicking on the ad and redirected to the landing page of the site, you can learn more about what Shell is doing for the environment.

A little bit of a hard sell as an endeavor in comparison to the Nissan Leaf's 100% electric car, but I suppose gas companies can try their best at Environmental Awareness. Although, whatever Shell does, they're definitely a notch better off than say, BP. Unless they for some reason end up touting the merits of George Bush's memoir.

No comments: